Section I Vocabulary (10 points )
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the ONE that best completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1.
1. If you draw a(n) ______ between two things, that means the two things are different.
A. prescription B. intersection C. partition D. distinction
2. The negotiations are going well and we are confident of a successful ______.
A. outbreak B. output C. outcome D. outset
3. Batistuta went to Florence for the third year in ______.
A. succession B. series C. sequence D. session
4. You may play PC games to your heart's ______ during the winter break.
A. content B. consent C. consensus D. conscience
5. Some governments have forbidden cigarette ___and launched anti-smoking campaigns.
A. commissions B. commodities C. commercials D. commands
6. Applicants must show that they have $10,000 or more ____ for living expenses and approximately $10,000 for tuition.
A. acceptable B. advisable C. available D. applicable
7. The director often says it is difficult to design a program that will meet the ______ needs of all our users.
A. diverse B. distinctive C. distinct D. distinguished
8. ______ their differences, they are united by the common desire to transform their personal commitment into public leadership.
A. But for B. For all C. Above all D. Except for
9. The winter just ending was ____ severe, causing great hardship to the poorer people in this area.
A. exceptionally B. explosively C. extensively D. expressively
10. Computer software ______ some 70 percent of the company’s products.
A. applies for B. allows for C. accounts for D. answers for
11. According to the __________ of the contract, employees must give six months' notice if they
intend to leave.
A. laws B. rules C. terms D. details
12. The _______ meter can detect even a very small amount of gas in the room
A. sensible B. sensitive C. sensing D. sensed
13. The bank manager asked his assistant if it was possible for him to ______ the investment plan within a week.
A. work out B. put out C. make out D. set out
14. Television will provide information on prices at the nearby shops ________ news and entertainment.
A. as many as B. as far as C. as well as D. as long as
15. Jane takes an __________ interest in clothes and is very particular about what she wears.
A. exhaustive B. excelling C. executive D. excessive
16. In China, it is a serious crime to __________ancient paintings out of the country.
A. struggle B. smuggle C. sublet D. withdraw
17. The rich man was asked to pay a high _________ for his daughter who was taken away by criminals.
A. margin B. prestige C. ransom D. purchase
18. According to the International Law, the United Nations would impose economic _________against an invading country.
A. commissions B. promotions C. sentences D. sanctions
19. To ______ something will enable you to buy property without having the funds to pay for it at present.
A. donate B. guarantee C. mortgage D. finance[FS:PAGE]
20. Our university is unable to tuition fees to students who fail to complete the course.
A. rescue B. recover C. refund D. refresh